Open access (OA) refers to research and intellectual output that are freely available to anyone on the open internet anywhere in the world. Open access applies to educational resources, datasets, journals, ebooks, conference proceedings, and software. Rather than limiting the availability of scholarly research to those who hold a subscription, like most traditional publishing models, open access does not require a subscription or any other form of payment to access content. J. Murrey Atkins Library supports and encourages open access research and publication that allows anyone to freely access content, thereby promoting and increasing:
- Discoverability of your scholarship
- Providing opportunities to access published work without restrictive subscriptions or high-cost publishers.
- Global access to your research
- Widening the availability of publications makes content freely available to anyone with internet access around the world.
- Global participation in scholarly discourse about your research
- Increasing engagement and cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Long-term preservation of your research
- Ensuring perpetual access to knowledge through established digital stewardship practices.